Re: reveal-filename

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: reveal-filename
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 19:19:24 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 01:26:27 -0400
>
> > The description that's already there is all there is to tell:
> >     "Produce the real file name for FILE.
> >   On systems other than MS-Windows, just returns FILE.
> >   On MS-Windows, converts /d/foo/bar form of file names
> >   passed by MSYS Make into d:/foo/bar that Emacs can grok.
> >   This function is called from lisp/Makefile."
> > What did you find missing from this description?
>
> Looks very ad-hoc to me.

But that's what the function does, no less, no more.  And yes, it's
ad-hoc, because it simply works around an MSYS bug (I tried to find
other solutions, but failed).

> My guess is that the "cleaner" description that
> could correspond to it might be something along the lines of "accepts
> a file name in the format commonly used by other programs on the system,
> and turns it into an equivalent form that works within Emacs".

When the function is extended to do that, it would make sense to
change the doc string along these lines.  For now, saying that would
be simply incorrect.