Re: emacs key bindings reserved for the user C-c [a-zA-Z]

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: emacs key bindings reserved for the user C-c [a-zA-Z]
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 23:03:48 -0500

Ali Tofigh <address@hidden> writes:
>I read that part of the emacs key binding convention is to keep C-c
>[a-zA-Z] reserved for the user and that packages should not make use of
>such key bindings. There is also a note about all major modes having
>been changed to comply with this convention. I'd like to know:
>
>1) How long has this convention been in place and when where the major
>   modes changed accordingly?

Many years -- since at least some time in 1992, given that the file
etc/NEWS.19 contains this:

  * Changes in version 19.13.
  ** Hide-ifdef mode no longer defines keys of the form
  C-c LETTER, since those keys are reserved for users.

(I think the convention might have been introduced with Emacs 19.0.)

>2) To what extent do packages actually abide by this convention (at
>   least the ones that are actively being supported/developed)?

Occasionally I run across an exception, but FWIW my experience is that
the packages I use in Emacs generally abide by this convention now.

I'm curious: why do you ask?

-Karl