Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110286: Sync Org 7.9.2 from the commit tagged

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110286: Sync Org 7.9.2 from the commit tagged "release_7.9.2" in Org's Git repo.
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 14:30:01 -0400

> I'd give it a shot, but this is all very delicately intertwined and it
> appears that the documentation and the comments to gether either don't
> tell the full story or are outdated in several places.

I know, I spent a fair amount of time in that code a few years ago to
eliminate an O(N^2) behavior and then later to add the support for
file-local settings of generated-autoload-file.

> Does anybody have better information on what the "public interfaces"
> of that code are and what are the assumptions that a cleanup needs
> to keep?

IIRC there are fairly few entry points:
update-directory-autoloads, update-file-autoloads, and
batch-update-autoloads.

Not sure about generate-file-autoloads which is either dead, or a very
rarely used entry point.

BTW, if/when considering how to fix it, it might be worth considering at
the same time how to improve it so as to support ';;;###foo-autoload'
directly (without having to scan the file twice, for example).
Probably by looking for ";;;###\\(.*-\\)?autoload" and using an alist
that maps from foo to the corresponding file.

        Stefan