Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110286: Sync Org 7.9.2 from the commit tagged

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110286: Sync Org 7.9.2 from the commit tagged "release_7.9.2" in Org's Git repo.
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 19:25:42 +0200

Bastien writes:
>> You've removed functionality that some systems (mine for instance)
>> relied on.  Since there is no replacement, you effectively broke Org.
>> Worse, you did all that on the maint branch which has the promise that
>> there are exactly no non-bugfixes between releases.
>
> Can you tell me how I broke your system so that I can help fixing it?

All XML schema files reside in their own hierarchy.  The heuristics
won't find them and you've removed the only means to skip that useless
search and tell the installation exactly where they are.

Furthermore, searches into ../something can very well lead to much more
fun than you seem to be aware of.  They could try to search the whole
network for instance.  Slow network drives in conjunction with stupid
virus scanner (i.e. almost all corporate environments) have noticeably
degraded performce even when the search stays within the same filesystem
and finds the files it is looking for.

You've not made anything simpler there, really.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html