Re: replacing process sentinels and filters with hooks

From: Christopher Monsanto
Subject: Re: replacing process sentinels and filters with hooks
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 06:59:58 -0400

Hi Stefan,

I think we are mostly on the same page now. When I say that "I don't
want to treat process callbacks specially" and "do we need a different
way of doing things?", I'm referring to the fact that add-function and
add-hook do similar things and it would be ideal (in my opinion) to
not have two general purpose APIs that (almost?) do the same thing.
I'm not necessarily calling for merging implementations, but if we end
up having both I think it would be nice to 1) point out the similarity
in the documentation and 2) have clear recommendations on which API to
use given the circumstances. For instance, would add-hook be (very
lightly-)deprecated in favor of add-function, since add-function is
more general than hooks? Or do we recommend the use of add-function
only when the callbacks take arguments? Or recommend add-function only
when we expect callbacks to modify arguments?

> How do you expect add-hook to work.  E.g. give an example would be an
> appropriate add-hook call to add a function on your process-callback?

Hooks could use an interface similar to defadvice to change their
arguments: (hook-set-arg <index> <value>) would modify the argument
being passed to the next hook. Assuming for brevity that the argument
to a process callback is simply a string representing process-input:

  (defun my-callback (input)
    (message "Saw input: %s" input)
    (hook-set-arg 0 (concat "Seen: " input)))

  ;; process-callbacks defaults to current buffer's process
  (add-hook (process-callbacks) 'my-callback)

Yes, there seems to be a bit of ugliness in this case with
process-callbacks needing to return a symbol. In this case, I just
think of a symbol as acting as a reference type in ML, so it doesn't
bother me too much I guess.

My personal preference would be for hook-set-arg, because we wouldn't
have two different APIs for callbacks that take arguments, one being
more powerful than the other. I can imagine having different APIs
might be a problem: consider the case where a library author doesn't
know about add-function so they use the hook API. A user complains
that they need the ability to modify the arguments passed to the next
hook, and now the library author has to switch APIs (breaks backward
compat) or support two different APIs (breaks maintainer's spirit).

But you probably know better than I on this one, so use your judgment :)

> Note that comint-input-filter-functions is a hook on process-send-string
> rather than on the process-filter, whereas comint-preoutput-filter-functions
> (which is the hook on the process-filter) does allow modifying the string
> passed to the next function on the hook.

Argh, I was thinking of comint-preoutput-filter-functions in my head.
Sorry for the confusion!

I've copied the rest of your message below, as it wasn't sent to the
list. My apologies if it was meant to be private.