Re: Emacs revision #107149

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Emacs revision #107149
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:35:58 +0000

'evening, Wolfgang.

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 02:00:43AM +0100, Wolfgang Jenkner wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12 2012, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > But, do you actually have to suppress these support modes?  They're there
> > to fontify text screens faster.  Why disable them?  Nowadays, with faster
> > HW than ever, it seems pointless even to bother.

> The buffer where the fontification happens is not displayed, instead its
> content is inserted in a buffer with a different major-mode, and in
> between emacs stays never idle for the font-lock support functions to
> kick in.

I'm not sure I've fully understood you here.  Certainly in JIT lock mode
(the default under GNU Emacs), and probably under lazy-lock too, "no"
runtime is consumed until the buffer is displayed.
font-lock-fontify-buffer (without a support mode) will take some time,
sometimes quite a lot.

> Wolfgang

Alan Mackenzie (Nürnberg).