Re: Emacs revision #107149

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs revision #107149
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:03:14 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

>> As far as I can tell from the cc-mode code, `c-font-lock-fontify-region'
>> unconditionally calls `c-standard-font-lock-fontify-region-function'.
>> Furthermore, `c-standard-font-lock-fontify-region-function' doesn't seem
>> to be set to anything other than `(default-value
>> 'font-lock-fontify-region-function)'.  And the variable is not a
>> user-level variable, which seems to make the entire tap-dance routine
>> here rather ... odd.
>
>> Why not just call `(default-value 'font-lock-fontify-region-function)'
>> unconditionally?
>
> It's unclean programming, and won't work properly under XEmacs.

You may well be right, but looking at the code, I don't really see why.
There's one single consumer of
`c-standard-font-lock-fontify-region-function'?  There's one single
place it's set?  If it isn't set, the function breaks unconditionally?

Or is it set to something else under XEmacs (in code that's not in the
Emacs 24 tree)?

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome