Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)

From: Leo
Subject: Re: C-g crash in C-x C-f (OSX Lion)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 09:57:32 +0800

On 2011-12-20 09:12 +0800, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:
>> Meanwhile, the Mac port is missing multi-tty, bidi editing, gnutls,
>> and lexbind.  It doesn't have integrated themes, packages, Org, or
>> CEDET (to name just a few).  It doesn't help GNUstep users at
>> all. If xembed catches on, it's unlikely that it'll ever reach the
>> Mac port.

This is because Mac port is not yet emacs-24 ready but I'm sure it is
only a matter of time.

> If you need Emacs 24-specific features on Mac OS X at the moment, then
> you can use not only the NS port, but also the other X11 builds.  And
> as I'm saying at the very beginning of the README-mac file in the Mac
> port, if the NS port is good enough for you, then you don't need to
> try the Mac port.  I guess whether the NS port is sufficient or not
> would depend on the personal usage pattern.  Especially, those who
> heavily use flyspell-mode would find the NS port insufficient.

It is not just flyspell-mode but I suspect Pymacs too
https://github.com/pinard/Pymacs/issues/5. I have recently started using
Python again and Pymacs (a dependency of rope/ropemacs) is indispensable
in setting up a top-notch python development environment.

> Also, I think I've been making rather active and valuable feedbacks in
> both bug reporting and bug fixing especially on the platform-specific
> part of Emacs, for the bugs I found through the development of the Mac
> port.

Thank you for the work.

Leo