Re: Isearch should store aborted search strings too

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Isearch should store aborted search strings too
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 18:45:52 +0200

> I often use isearch to check something in other parts of the
> file and then go back to the starting point by aborting isearch
> with ctrl+G.
>
> When I abort it then isearch doesn't store the search string which
> I often need again, so I have to type it again. I recommend
> adding and option to control this behavior and store the search string
> even if aborting.

Without an option this can be achieved with:

  (add-hook 'isearch-mode-end-hook
            (lambda ()
              (isearch-update-ring isearch-string isearch-regexp)))

> This could even be the default, since previous search strings can
> be trivially accessed with M-p, so it's no problem if more
> strings are stored than before.

Often previous useless search strings is a problem that I even use code
in .emacs in `isearch-mode-end-hook' that removes the search string
even on successful exit:

  ;; Don't push the search string into the search ring
  ;; (i.e. remove the stored search string)
  (if isearch-regexp
      (setq regexp-search-ring (cdr regexp-search-ring))
    (setq search-ring (cdr search-ring)))