Re: gnutls memory leak [Was: Re: Emacs bzr memory footprint]

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: gnutls memory leak [Was: Re: Emacs bzr memory footprint]
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 08:04:54 -0400

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:01:47 -0400 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:

TZ> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:10:38 +0800 Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
CY> Since no one responded so far, I went ahead and committed a fix for that
CY> particular memory leak.  I verified that with this fix, the credentials
CY> structures are deallocated after sending a mail via SSL; previously they
CY> won't.

CY> If someone could check whether the memory leak is gone or still
CY> persists, that would be great.

TZ> Thanks, I wasn't able to respond in time.  But I doubt the credentials
TZ> are the problem.  They don't get allocated/deallocated all that often,
TZ> unless I've misunderstood something fundamental in the GnuTLS code.  I
TZ> suspect the error logging and general packet handling code.

After comparing an Emacs with and without your fix, actually, I see a
2MB difference in the memory usage every time a GnuTLS connection is
opened.  That may have been the culprit, indeed.

I'm running the new Emacs and trying to balloon the memory usage but so
far have been unsuccessful.

Nix, Carsten, Sven, could you give a recent build a try?

Ted