Re: Building Emacs on Windows with MinGW+MSYS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building Emacs on Windows with MinGW+MSYS
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:16:41 +0200

> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Cc: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 08:09:52 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > Downloading a single GnuWin32 package is much simpler.
>
> Is gnuwin{32,64} generally the recommended way of getting unixy
> utilities on windows these days...?

If you really want something very similar to Unix, you will be better
off with Cygwin.

GnuWin32 is the recommended way of having Unixy utilities if you want
compatibility with other native w32 programs.  Cygwin is subtly
incompatible.

> [I don't have a windows machine usually, but I did download the win8
> demo, which I can run in a VM, and was thinking of trying to use it for
> porting some stuff to windows...]

If you get Cygwin, you will find out that most stuff is already ported
there.