Re: Multi-platform build system

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Multi-platform build system
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:57:06 +0900

>> Time ago I volunteered to write a CMake [1] build spec for Emacs. It was
>> considered unnecessary by the people who does most of the work on the
>> current build systems.
>
> IIRC, it was also unacceptable, because the user would need CMake to
> build Emacs, as opposed to just generating makefiles than can be
> packed into the tarball. Is that so, or am I misremembering?

That is so ... cmake, like most build-systems, requires itself to be
installed for the builder, not just the packager; the autotools are
fairly unique in _not_ requiring this [though I have seen some other
systems that kinda do it].

[Another somewhat rare property of autoconf is the emphasis on
feature-_testing_ instead of version/system-name-driven configuration;
this may be less useful on windows, which seems to have a smaller
amount of variability, but of course it's invaluable on unixy
systems...]

-Miles

--
Joy, n. An emotion variously excited, but in its highest degree arising from
the contemplation of grief in another.