Re: Emacs bzr memory footprint

From: Carsten Mattner
Subject: Re: Emacs bzr memory footprint
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:59:10 +0200

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:
> Miles Bader writes:
>
>  > but I note that even after killing most buffers and doing a gc, my emacs
>  > (running for roughly 8 hours) still takes 341 MB... :[
>
> XEmacs is quite a bit more bloated than that, but I can't find most of
> it in XEmacs's memory reporting statistics.  My groundless suspicion
> is that a lot of it is in caches, images, whatnot in X and other
> dependency libraries.  Except that now that Emacs is showing some bloat
> too, the ground isn't moving under my feet quite so hard. :-)

Would that be not loaded if I started it up as 'emacs -nw'?
Might be worth a try to see how much less it is, wouldn't it?
Actually, I'd be interested to know what you guys see with that
in comparison.

I've never got used to -nw because there's always either
some key-bindings or color support discrepancy compared
to X or Cocoa clients.

The Linux X Emacs I configure as follows:
/configure --without-selinux --without-tiff --without-sound \
      --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings --without-xft \
      --without-gsettings --with-x-toolkit=no

On OSX:
./configure --with-ns --without-gnutls