Re: Git mirrors

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 00:52:21 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 04:50:07 -0400 Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> I think it would benefit the GNU Emacs project, the Emacs developers and
>>> maintainers, and the Emacs community as a whole if there was an official
>>> read-only Git mirror of the Emacs repository that was updated with every
>>> Bazaar push.
>
> RS>     I just want to make the point that since Bazaar is a GNU project, IMO
> RS>     this would not benefit the GNU project as a whole. (I'm not saying
> don't
> RS>     do it, just making a point.)
>
> RS> That's my response too.
>
> Are you simply ignoring Glenn's last sentence?
>
> Why does Savannah offer Git hosting if you feel even providing a
> read-only Git mirror harms the GNU project?
>
> Is Emacs a tool or a weapon?

I was restraining myself from making this question since long time ago:
is GNU a competing project against other *Free* projects? To the point
of not only promoting a technically inferior package (i.e. bzr) but
trying to inconvenience those who opted by a successful, widely used,
*Free*, non-GNU package? If the answer is yes, how does it helps the
Free Software cause?

This is not a stab on bzr. I'm just bewildered by the attitude of GNU
(which, AFAIK, is a means to promote Free Software, not an end on
itself) towards other Free projects.

Feel free to follow up this privately.