Re: input method for unicode math characters

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: input method for unicode math characters
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 11:16:59 -0500

On Sat Oct 1 2011 Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> There's C-x 8 RET. For instance C-x 8 RET double integral produces  .
> > Thanks, well, the problem with this is that one needs to know these names.
>
> You can use completion to find it.  I personally find that substring
> completion is very useful for it, so I have
>
> (when (boundp 'completion-category-overrides)
>   (add-to-list 'completion-category-overrides
>                '(unicode-name (styles basic substring))))

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

> I don't find the echo area guidance very useful for TeX, indeed,
> but it's not like the guidance bothers me: I just ignore it. This
> said, it would be good to improve it for such circumstances

I'd appreciate that!

There are things popping up in the message area that I do not want
to ignore. And there are other things that one can ignore without a
problem. Yet I only know which category a message belongs to if I do
pay some attention to what is happening in the message area. So the
bottom line is that too often one can get distracted for nothing.

Roland