Re: input method for unicode math characters

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: input method for unicode math characters
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 10:34:05 -0400

>> There's C-x 8 RET. For instance C-x 8 RET double integral produces ∬.
> Thanks, well, the problem with this is that one needs to know these names.

You can use completion to find it.  I personally find that substring
completion is very useful for it, so I have

(when (boundp 'completion-category-overrides)
  (add-to-list 'completion-category-overrides
               '(unicode-name (styles basic substring))))

> ...while here somehow I get completely irritated by the minibuffer
> that pops up (or is it the message area? oh well!)
> Probably this can be customized. But then how to keep track of the
> available possibilities?

I don't find the echo area guidance very useful for TeX, indeed, but
it's not like the guidance bothers me: I just ignore it.  This said, it
would be good to improve it for such circumstances (and the TAB
"completion" should work more like normal completion: e.g. after "\Rig"
a TAB should complete to \Rightarrow since it's the only sequence that
starts with \Rig; also showing the tree in *Quail Completions* is not
nearly as useful as showing the leaves in *Completions*).

        Stefan