Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:26:12 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 15:54:01 +0200
>>
>> I repeat: we are currently talking about the default of
>> bidi-paragraph-direction which Eli argues should be nil in all modes
>> (not just text-mode derived ones) that don't explicitly override it.
>
> I never said that.  I just mentioned that as a possible solution.

There were explicit plans discussed for making a buffer-name list where
a nil default would get overriden.  I consider that approach a
non-starter.  Or rather a non-finisher.

>> There are many modes in Emacs that are doing some sort of tabular
>> display, and flipping some vertical areas of the display horizontally
>> around depending on the directionality of the first explicit character
>> is going to make it _harder_, not easier for people trying to work with
>> bidi content to get sensible results.
>
> Which modes are you talking about, specifically?

dired, buffer-list, ses, lots of things.  Basically almost everything
that one likes using fixed-width fonts for (or which uses alignment
properties in order to still look good with variable-pitch fonts) would
likely get awkward with nil bidi-paragraph-direction.

--
David Kastrup