Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 02:29:32 -0400

> Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 08:21:22 +0200 (CEST)
> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
>
> It seems to me that the longer the buffer, the worse it gets.  Is this
> observation correct?

Yes, see my other message in this thread.  Emacs is searching for the
beginning of the paragraph, but this whole buffer is one huge
paragraph.  The manual explains the significance of the paragraph
direction for the bidirectional display, in case you are interested in
the details.

> BTW, while being in a buffer, is there a quick way to change the value
> of bidi-display-reordering?

M-: (setq bidi-display-reordering nil) RET

After the first time, "M-: M-p" will avoid typing the whole stuff
again.

> Using set-variable doesn't work

This is on purpose: I don't think this should be a user-level
variable.  (Of course, for this to make sense, the display should be
reasonably responsive, and it is my intention to make it so, given
that the problems will be reported.)