Re: How does the Emacs bug tracker work?

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: How does the Emacs bug tracker work?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 16:05:36 -0400

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Which reminds me -- searching for Emacs bugs on Google only seems to
> give me the static (archived) bug reports.
>
> And this is presumably because the machine disallows searching for the
> non-archived (newer) bug reports?

I don't know what you mean by "(archived)". The static pages list the
*non*-archived reports, and are updated daily. It's the older, archived
reports that are not included.

> I think it would be nice if people were able to use the search engines
> to find previous bug reports.  :-)

They can:

1) search the static pages via their search engine of choice. These all
contain big links (in red) to the dynamic pages.

2) search the bug mailing list archives using their search engine of
choice, or the supplied lists.gnu.org search

3) use the normal debbugs search

4) use the full-text debbugs search

> Is there any plans to upgrade the debbugs.gnu.org machine so that it
> could allow search engines back?  If it's a 500MB machine now, it sounds
> like it might be slightly (ahem) old?

Not AFAIK (to both questions). It's a virtual machine that has a slice
of some large-ish, modern-ish, machine (I guess). It seems quite capable
of doing what it needs to do, IMO. I don't see a need to allow search
engines to run cgi queries on it.