Re: `send-mail-function' default change

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: `send-mail-function' default change
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 19:36:10 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Please add to NEWS a detailed description of how to move the old
> smtpmail setup to the brave new world.

[...]

> I think my setup is very similar of Óscar's, btw.  I have the
> following variables defined:
>
>   smtpmail-smtp-server
>   smtpmail-smtp-service
>   smtpmail-auth-credentials
>
> The latter defines my username and password for logging into my ISP's
> SMTP server.  I don't currently use STATTLS.

Ok, perhaps we can work out a text here?

---------------
** smtpmail has been largely rewritten to upgrade to STARTTLS if
possible, and uses the auth-source framework for getting credentials.
The rewrite should be largely compatible with previous versions of
smtpmail, but there are two major incompatibilities:

** `smtpmail-auth-credentials' no longer exists.  That variable used to
be be either ~/.authinfo (in which case you're fine -- you won't see any
difference), but if it were a direct list of user names and passwords,
you will be prompted for the user name and the password instead, and
they will then be saved to ~/.authinfo.

If you wish to copy over all the credentials from
`smtpmail-auth-credentials' to your ~/.authinfo file manually, instead
of letting smtpmail prompt you for these values, that's also possible.

If you had, for instance,

(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(("mail.example.org" 25 "jim" "s!cret")))

then the equivalent line in ~/.authinfo would be

machine mail.example.org port 25 login jim password s!cret

** Similarly, `smtpmail-starttls-credentials' no longer exists.  If
you had thet set, then then you need to put

machine smtp.whatever.foo port 25 key "~/.my_smtp_tls.key" cert
"~/.my_smtp_tls.cert"

in your ~/.authinfo file instead.

Would that do?

But it strikes me here that perhaps there should just be a function like
`M-x smtpmail-save-old-credentials' that would do this for you.  It
would be utterly trivial to write.  :-)