Re: `send-mail-function' default change

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: `send-mail-function' default change
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 20:26:37 +0300

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 17:38:25 +0200
>
> As previously discussed, the default of `send-mail-function' changes to
> `sendmail-query-once'.  I'm checking in this change in a few minutes,
> but you'll probably have to say "make clean; make" for it to happen,
> since it uses the special `custom-initialize-delay' initialiser, which
> means that loaddefs.el has to change in some unspecified way.
>
> Anyway, after this has happened in your Emacs, you will be prompted for
> how email is to be sent (once), and the choice will be saved via
> `customize'.

Please add to NEWS a detailed description of how to move the old
smtpmail setup to the brave new world.  Please don't just tell "follow
the prompts", but describe what I need to do to have my current setup
immediately operational after this change.  I don't like being led by
Customize, I like to have full control of what's written to my
dot-files, so I want to do this manually.  I'm quite sure I'm not the
only one with that attitude.

The current text in NEWS tells only part of the story; Óscar's ordeal
clearly indicates that it's incomplete and not detailed enough.
Please make it more detailed and complete.

Using email is a very fundamental part of using the Internet.  Having
an upgrade disable this ability is annoying to say the least.  Let's
not risk that.

I think my setup is very similar of Óscar's, btw.  I have the
following variables defined:

  smtpmail-smtp-server
  smtpmail-smtp-service
  smtpmail-auth-credentials

The latter defines my username and password for logging into my ISP's
SMTP server.  I don't currently use STATTLS.

TIA