Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 10:17:48 +0200

Am 16.06.2011 08:36, schrieb Jambunathan K:

When the first modern declaration of human rights showed up in french
revolution of 1789 it was closely followed by guillotines.

So I have some favor for the wording "Open Source" not with respect to
a precise license politics or specific institute, but because it's not
that pathetic, doesn't that have that smell.

While we are discussing about making the words culturally netural -
Andreas here is talking here from a French perspective -

Hi  Jambunathan,

referring to historical events doesn't mean adopting it's perspective.
As we are able to read books about history, we may take that experience to a certain extent, even if not witnessed personally.

Also you can't refer to events neglecting it's real existing personage, it's sex, location, political or religious orientation - which doesn't hinder abstraction and relation.

The culturally neutral speech whould require the men stripped from it's history and heritance. That would be an in-human requiring.

,----
| “Free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the
| concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free
| beer.”
`----

let me add my 2 paise from an Indian perspective.

As an Indian, I have never understood what the meaning of the phrase
"free beer" is.

A typical (layman) Indian is averse and even a stranger to
drinking. Furthermore, Gandhi himself favored Prohibition and the
distribution of liquor is even state-controlled in few of the states.

So the phrasing "free beer" makes no sense to me at all.

Think you simply are not saying the truth here. You should be well aware reading words from other cultural contextes and understand it's meaning. And you are.

Think about.

BTW should you feel humiliated by colonial occupation history, you can't pay that back to people how are against colonialism. Colonisation was not an act decided by western people, but by the oppressing ruling powers. Also it's not western specific. Occupation took place in all parts of the world AFAIK.

Beside from this more basic considerations, it seems worth reflecting if "beer" is the best relation to do at this place.

Cheers,

Andreas

Even if there be reasons to retain the "free beer" phraseology (say,
from purely historical perspective) , I recommend that a footnote or a
reference be provided (elsewhere - Wikipedia?) where the meaning of the
above metaphor is better clarified.

As a lay person, I better relate to metaphors (as could be seen in my
other posts)

Jambunathan K.