Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:06:56 +0530

> When the first modern declaration of human rights showed up in french
> revolution of 1789 it was closely followed by guillotines.

> So I have some favor for the wording "Open Source" not with respect to
> a precise license politics or specific institute, but because it's not
> that pathetic, doesn't that have that smell.

While we are discussing about making the words culturally netural -
Andreas here is talking here from a French perspective -

,----
| “Free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the
| concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free
| beer.”
`----

let me add my 2 paise from an Indian perspective.

As an Indian, I have never understood what the meaning of the phrase
"free beer" is.

A typical (layman) Indian is averse and even a stranger to
drinking. Furthermore, Gandhi himself favored Prohibition and the
distribution of liquor is even state-controlled in few of the states.

So the phrasing "free beer" makes no sense to me at all.

Even if there be reasons to retain the "free beer" phraseology (say,
from purely historical perspective) , I recommend that a footnote or a
reference be provided (elsewhere - Wikipedia?) where the meaning of the
above metaphor is better clarified.

As a lay person, I better relate to metaphors (as could be seen in my
other posts)

Hope my submission is considered,
Jambunathan K.