Re: face for non-ASCII characters

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: face for non-ASCII characters
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 23:38:12 +0200

2011/4/20 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>:

> LB> I do not know how ELPA handles this. (But I do not think there is any
> LB> problems installing all of nXhtml. Everything is autoloaded.)
>
> All I want is an easy way to display suspicious characters (as I recall
> from when we started this discussion over a year ago).  I have no
> problem that you're hosting markchars.el inside nXhtml and I can mirror
> just that one file into the GNU ELPA, but if nXhtml has to be
> *installed* in order to use markchars.el, I'll have to write my own
> version.  I think installing a large, unrelated package is an
> unnecessary burden on those who just want to detect suspicious
> characters.  Can you please confirm one way or the other so I know what
> I need to do, mirror or rewrite?
>
> Just to be clear, mirroring markchars.el does not require you to change
> anything.  The GNU ELPA machine will pull the latest markchars.el down
> daily, that's all.

nXhtml is not very much more monolitic than ELPA actually. You can use
just the basic libraries in nXhtml and get the rest downloaded
automatically when you try to access them. So it contains kind of
"ELPA" inside.

But that is not the point here, but since you took it up I mention it.

As I tried to say nXhtml will somehow be mirrored in ELPA and Reuben
has said that he want to contribute to that process. So please try to
discuss this witrh him.