Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:18:47 -0500

    In order to implement thread-specific let-binding of buffer-local
    variables, we must introduce an indirection into the C code, so that
    lookups of these variables see the thread-specific value, if any.

This makes thread-switching faster but makes access slower.  Moreover,
it is a big change.  Why not use a mechanism like that of buffer-local
variables?  It would be much easier and perhaps better.

I hope you are not trying to implement truly asynchronous thread
switching, because that is going to cause lots of timing errors
in C code that isn't ready for this.

--
Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation