Re: Emacs trunk bootstrapping fails since about two days

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Emacs trunk bootstrapping fails since about two days
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 14:11:25 -0500

Paul Eggert wrote:

> My guess is that you're not bootstrapping from a clean version
> of the trunk.  Maybe you rebuilt 'configure' by
> running 'autoconf' without running 'aclocal -I m4' first?

Running just autoconf (and sometimes autoheader) used to be all that
was needed; and some people, like myself, have been in the habit of
always running autoconf to ensure we have the latest configure.

Perhaps you could summarize the autotools steps now necessary to
consistently regenerate everything. Eg what do I do now when I need to
regenerate and commit configure? Just running autoconf alone doesn't
seem to be enough any more. See eg admin/make-tarball.txt which
documents the previous procedure and needs updating.

Also, make maintainer-clean deletes aclocal.m4, which is a file in the
repository. Is this normal? Nothing then seems to recreate it. Is
--enable-maintainer-mode now necessary for maintainer-clean to work
right? This didn't use to be the case, and I have often recommended
people to run `make maintainer-clean' to start from a clean slate.