Re: Custom themes

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Custom themes
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:53:05 -0400

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 04:14, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> The original motivation for calling it foo-theme.el was so that users
>>> can copy the theme file into .emacs.d (or wherever the load-directory
>>> for their local Lisp files is).
>>
>> It seems cleaner to have an .emacs.d/themes/ dir.
>
> OK, I'll make the change.

The change turns out to be more problematic than it seemed.

If we remove lisp/themes from the load path, we have to tell the themes
code how to find that directory again.  We could do

  (dolist (dir load-path)
    (locate-file "themes/foo.el" dir)
    ...)

but that means looking for a themes/ subdirectory in *all* the load-path
directories, which seems silly.  One alternative is to determine the
themes directory at the Makefile level, similar to what we do for leim;
but I don't like adding more complexity to the Makefiles just for this.
Another alternative is to put the theme files in etc/, but that's not
good either, since Lisp files ought to go in lisp/.  De-synching the
themes path from load-path also makes it more difficult for us to
provide themes via a package.