Re: testing framework and package.el

From: Christian Ohler
Subject: Re: testing framework and package.el
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 01:36:04 +1100

 On 12/10/10 20:41, Lennart Borgman wrote:
Is there any other way supporting backward
compatibility of the test than actually running them from time to time
in older versions?

Rather than running the tests of Emacs version N in historical versions before N, we can run them in future versions after N. This is actually what happens naturally as the code evolves (assuming we run "make check" regularly), so it's very simple and requires no added effort. (Of course, this doesn't work for tests written after the fact.) As long as we don't touch a given test, we know that it's compatible. If we have to modify it to keep it passing, we know that there was an incompatible change.

Christian.