Re: binding ibuffer to C-x C-b by default

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: binding ibuffer to C-x C-b by default
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 04:26:18 +0200

>>> That's even more annoying.  I hate having my cursor keys rebound to
>>> surprising actions.
>>
>> What would be the unsurprising (and not useless) behavior here?
>
> Leaving the cursor keys to behave like normal, for instance?  That would
> be very unsurprising, but the usefulness is debatable.  Sometimes
> avoiding driving the user crazy is better than maximum usefulness.

Moving the cursor left and right adds zero convenience while using
ibuffer, it is wasting two keys. OTOH, by assigning them for jumping
from one filtering group to another they become somewhat useful. I agree
with you and Miles about the "surprisingness", but after two minutes of
using ibuffer you are no longer surprised and later maybe you will
appreciate having two extra keys that actually do some work.

If you say that it not only is surprising but also annoying, I'll have
to ask why you feel compelled to use left/right cursor movements on
ibuffer.

[Not really arguing with you. I'm trying to understand your reaction as
a new ibuffer user who *also* is an experienced Emacs user.]