Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 06:17:36 -0400

>> In gedit C-f and C-b move forward and backward logically, whereas LEFT
>> and RIGHT move left and right visually.

EZ> Please be more specific, after reading my message where I presented
EZ> the definitions relevant to this thread.  Emacs currently implements
EZ> only the logical-mode motion, both with C-f/C-b and with arrow keys.

I used logically and visually correctly.

>> In seamonkey, in a web-page's text input box, both the arrow keys and
>> the C-b and C-f keys move visually.

EZ> A useless mode, if you ask me.

Agreed.  I was just reporting what occurred when I tried it out, for
everything I could think of which I had installed on this box and which
had -- or should have -- some bidi-awareness.

>> In gvim, both the h and l keys and the arrow keys move visually.

EZ> Please don't consider Vim a bidi-aware application.  All Vim does is
EZ> simple reversal of text on the screen.  It has no idea what to reverse
EZ> and what not, and neither does it support UAX#9.  It's small wonder it
EZ> can only support visual-order movement.

OK.  I knew that it could compose correctly and at first blush seemed
aware.  But again this was just reporting what occurrec when I tried
cursor movement w/in a r2l paragraph.

>> In Openoffice.org, the arrow keys move logically.

EZ> Again, please be more specific: what does the left arrow key do in a
EZ> R2L paragraph?  Does it go backwards in the text, eventually ending up
EZ> at the first text character, or does it go forward?

Again, I used the terms correctly.  If I wrote logically then the RIGHT
key moved forward in reading direction and the LEFT backward.

I will that OOo's cursor (a line at which the next char will insert)
changes when there is bidi text; a tail at its top points in the reading
direction of the surounding text.

Apologies if any of the above seems short....

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6