Re: Bootstrap failure using 'make -j4' [Cygwin]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bootstrap failure using 'make -j4' [Cygwin]
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 16:21:29 +0300

> Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 15:00:01 +0200
> From: Jan Djärv <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > I think the -p switch to mkdir is not portable.
> >

> I has been in The Single UNIX ® Specification since 1997 at least.  I think
> it
> was in POSIX 2 as well (1990), but I lost it, so I can't check.
>
> Do you know any system that doesn't have it?

Not by name, no.  But this is in the GNU Coding Statndards:

       Generally, stick to the widely-supported (usually POSIX-specified)
    options and features of these programs.  For example, don't use `mkdir
    -p', convenient as it may be, because a few systems don't support it at
    all and with others, it is not safe for parallel execution.

If this is no longer a consideration, perhaps we should ask Richard to
amend standards.texi.