delete-file to trash

From: Leo
Subject: delete-file to trash
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 20:48:43 +0100

Hello all,

I have found myself difficult to get along with
delete-by-moving-to-trash. On the one hand I would love to be able to rm
files in eshell and dired without confirmation and yet still have the
ability to recover from mistakes. On the other hand, the current
implementation seems flawed.

It seems someone needs to inspect every occurrences of delete-file in
emacs and carefully check whether to add a 'force arg. Sometimes temp
files may contain sensitive data and they should not be moved to the
trash bin. For example, at the moment, if you have encrypted files open
in epg, the decrypted contents will be moved to the trash bin although
this is trivial to fix for this particular case.

I still maintain a more suitable approach is to have delete-file not
move to trash bin unless explicitly called for. For example, it can be
implemented similarly to handle-shift-selection.

Anyway it seems it is harmful to use this feature. So I guess I will
start phasing it out.

Leo