Re: Composing Hebrew diacriticals

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Composing Hebrew diacriticals
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:29:09 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 20:58:00 +0900
>
> In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > > Eli, please check the comments of set_iterator_to_next, and
> > > verify that I'm doing the right thing.
>
> > It looks okay at a first glance, thank you!
>
> > In the HELLO buffer, the RLM character is not composed with the
> > following parenthesis, though.  Is this a separate problem?
>
> Currently Emacs' category of RLM (U+200F) is not '^'
> (Combining).  So it is not composed with the previous base
> character.

A separate problem, then.

> BTW, I don't know which is better; showing RLM (and the
> other control characters) to users or not.  If we show it,
> the display is a little bit annoying.  If we hide it, it
> gets very difficult for users to manually edit it.

We need both, I think.  But AFAIU, it would be easy to write a command
that modifies the category you show above, and thus makes these
characters appear and disappear.

> > Could you please look at the message I posted in
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-05/msg00251.html?
> > I still see the infloop, with the current trunk, even when
> > bidi-display-reordering is set to nil, after I type BET and DAGESH, as
> > described in that message.  What kind of problems in the information
> > that Uniscribe returns to Emacs could cause such a loop?
>
> I'm now investigating that problem.

Thanks.

> But, as I don't have Emacs on Windows now, all I can do is
> just guessing.
>
> To debug C code of Emacs on Windows, which environment
> (cygwin, mingw, ...) is good?

MinGW.  (Cygwin is just a usual Unix build running on Windows using an
X server, so I doubt if you will see there the same problem I do in
the MinGW build, which uses Uniscribe to render characters.)

> It will be good that there's an instruction simply showing just one
> method by saying something like:
>
> (1) Download this and this and this...  (with actual URLs).
> (2) Install this, then do this, then install this, then do this...
> (3) Build Emacs under this terminal program.

This place may be a good starting point:

   http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/w32-build-emacs.html

I use GCC, Binutils, GDB, and Make downloaded from the MinGW site
(http://www.mingw.org/), `cp', `mv', and `rm' from the latest port of
Coreutils from GnuWin32 (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/).  You will
also need the MinGW Runtime (mingw-runtime-*.tar.gz) and the Windows
API headers (w32api-*.tar.gz) from MinGW -- these are headers and
libraries that are needed to compile and link against Windows system
APIs.  The XPM library, needed for displaying the tool bar, is
available from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows, where you will
also find a precompiled binary.

I think that's about it.

One other thing: to unpack .tar.gz archives on Windows, you can use
the handy djtarnt.exe utility, which you can find here:

  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/emacs/windows/utilities/i386/

This utility supports only .tar.gz, not .tar.bz2.