Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r100117: Run kill-emacs when exit

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r100117: Run kill-emacs when exiting for display closed or SIGTERM/HUP.
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 20:49:43 +0900

Jan Djärv writes:

 > So what?  Session management doesn't care what the processes do
 > internally.

No, but users do.  And users don't care what Emacs's actual cwd is
(except that I am daily thankful that Emacs doesn't chdir because that
means that Emacs's cwd is never on the USB key that I want to umount!)

 > It is where Emacs was started, it is where Emacs was stopped, and
 > thus where Emacs should be restarted.  Where else should Emacs be
 > restarted?

For desktop.el users, it should be restarted in desktop-dirname* as of
the time Emacs stops, because otherwise desktop won't find the right
desktop file.

*I suspect this means not chdir(DESKTOP-DIRNAME) in C, but rather
(progn (switch-to-buffer "*scratch*") (cd DESKTOP-DIRNAME)), before
invoking desktop-read.