Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r100117: Run kill-emacs when exit

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r100117: Run kill-emacs when exiting for display closed or SIGTERM/HUP.
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 20:08:06 +0200

Stefan Monnier skrev 2010-05-03 19.43:
For this bug report, yes.  But for the more general session management
handling, it really is "start where we stopped".

But that's the whole problem: what do you define as "where we stopped"?
As I said, there are as many current directories as there are buffers.

Yes there is, it is what getcwd returns. That is where the process is started. That is the current directory according to the OS. A process can only have one current directory, and Emacs is no different.

Who knows what other/future packages save in the current directory?

There's really no such thing as "Emacs's current directory".

Yes there is, it is what getcwd returns. Anything else is just cosmetics and not the current directory of the Emacs process.

Relative filenames perhaps?  Not to mention the fact that I personally
get irritated that C-x C-f from *scratch* starts with the wrong
directory in this case.

Then desktop should save the default-directory of *scratch* (and
maybe/probably other buffers as well).  IIUC you can do that by adding
default-directory to desktop-locals-to-save.

That is too simplified, Emacs has more state than just the desktop file.

But "--chdir" is too simplified, Emacs has many more current directories
than just "the one" ;-)

No, a process can only have one current directory, and so does Emacs,
it is what getcwd returns.

        Jan D.