Re: Add function to make frame topmost?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Add function to make frame topmost?
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 11:59:46 +0200

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 5:43 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman writes:
>
>  > For reminders I expect the elisp code normally would set topmost,
>
> What you expect is up to you, but I rather suspect that's not what I
> would want in most cases.  Remember, IIUC, topmost means it sticks to
> the glass and gets in the way of other things, and must be dismissed
> (or worse, actively given a response) to get it out of the way.
>
> By contrast, normally popup windows are put on top, but simply
> selecting another window allows you to work in that window without
> specifically dismissing the reminder.  That is the behavior I want for
> something called "reminder".  On the one hand, I probably asked for
> it, so it should start on top.  OTOH, now I've seen it, and even if I
> focus attention elsewhere for now, I might want to keep it around for
> later.  In that case it needs to be easy to get it out of the way
> without dismissing it.

Yes, but does not that mean that it should start as a topmost window?

A possibility for reminders using only Emacs then are:

1) they start topmost as Emacs frames
2) when selecting the frame the topmost property is removed

Implementing 2 above requires of course that Emacs is learned about
application activation (something I have suggested long ago since it
might be useful for other things too).

On the other hand if using Growl (as David De La Harpe Golden
suggested) then you have this capabilities there already I believe.