RE: set font size with ctrl-mouse wheel?

From: Neal Becker
Subject: RE: set font size with ctrl-mouse wheel?
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 06:46:43 -0400

Drew Adams wrote:

>> It is becoming fairly standard to use ctrl+mouse-wheel to
>> increase/decrease
>> font size.  It'd be great if emacs could do this.
>
> It's been discussed before. I don't remember the threads, but you can find
> them at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/.
>
> My recollection is that this idea was rejected because (1) the wheel is
> treated differently on different platforms, and (2) Control+wheel was not
> considered to be standar, but my memory of this might be wrong.
>

> FWIW, you can get that behavior with library zoom-frm.el:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts#ChangingFontSize
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/zoom-frm.el

Thanks!  I can confirm zoom-frm works.  But, it also requires:
frame-fns.el
frame-cmds.el

I favor adding (at least the abililty to easily bind, if not the default
binding) of ctrl-mouse-wheel as standard in emacs - but I think requiring
all 3 of these files to do it is a bit heavy-weight.  Perhaps there is a
simpler approach?