Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:12:49 +0200

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:52:28 -0400, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> said:

> It might be possible to use one of those engines as Emacs's rendering
> engine, indeed. To me, it wouldn't seem like an good solution to the
> problem at hand because I don't think it would allow me to control the
> web-browser from Emacs (e.g., how would I access from Elisp the
> content of pages generated from HTML?).

I am not sure I see what type of use case you mean. Like counting
occurences of word « dog » in a page ?

> So it'd be more like embedding Emacs inside a normal browser. It's not
> a bad idea, but I don't think it'll provide as many benefits from
> Emacs's point of view.

I was mainly thinking about the benefits Emacs could get to entrust
buffer rendering to a third party component. In the case of
a xhtml/css+js engine, the advantage is that it is highly standardised,
higly available, and highly maintained, so it would not be a potentialy
dead-end dependance.

--
  Paul