Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser

From: Robert D. Crawford
Subject: Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:24:38 -0500

Adam Wołk <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Conkeror can be connected both ways with Emacs using mozrepl so I can
>>> imagine (but can't confirm) that one could implement a feature that
>>> would  send website text content directly to emacspeak.
>>
>> If I understand what you are saying, the text would be sent to the
>> speech server but not be rendered in an emacs buffer.  This will not
>> work as it would prevent scrolling through the text, killing/yanking,
>> sending URLs to other processes (mplayer and pdf2text come to mind).
>> I'm not even sure how that would work with emacspeak as it relies on
>> emacs to get its input... at least that is how I understand it.
>>
> I wrongly expressed what I had in mind by 'sending directly to
> emacspeak'.  What I was trying to say is that the text could be pulled
> over from the browser to Emacs which would trigger emacspeak to read
> it. This of course was a mistake on my side as I have no experience
> with emacspeak and wrongly assumed how emacspeak is used and works. I
> stand corrected now but still never meant to imply that Emacs would be
> excluded from the browsing process.

No worries.  I think it was as much my misunderstanding what you were
saying.

I'm going to have a look at the mozrepl integration with emacspeak as
soon as I get a chance to really look.  Maybe I can report back with
some useful information before the thread dies.

Thanks again,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      address@hidden