Re: Sending attachments

From: Mike Kupfer
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 17:55:34 -0700

ST> Ted Zlatanov writes:

RS> 1. XEmacs can have these files if its developers want.

RS> 2. There could be a Gnus-XEmacs compatibility package released
RS> alongside Gnus.

>> I think Reiner Steib and Stephen Turnbull, among others, need to
>> discuss this with you and the Emacs maintainers.  I'll go along
>> with whatever decision the group makes.

ST> Mike Kupfer should be in the mix, other than that I don't have a
ST> particular opinion on what to do.

Hi, folks.  I'm the Gnus maintainer for XEmacs.  Stephen T. pointed me
at this discussion.

The XEmacs-specific code in Gnus appears in one of two ways (that I'm
aware of):

1. XEmacs-specific files (gnus-xmas.el, messagexmas.el)
2. (featurep 'xemacs) checks in otherwise common code.

I just did a quick pass through the Gnus 5.10.10 sources to see how
often (featurep 'xemacs) appears.  I get 45 hits for message.el plus
mm*.el (171 hits for Gnus as a whole).  A lot of those 45 hits are in
menu generation code, leaving 18 or so places that will like require
more serious work for refactoring.

gnus-xmas.el and messagexmas.el are distributed with the Gnus releases
from gnus.org.  I'd like to see those files remain with the Gnus
sources, as separating them would increase the risk of breakage as
changes are made to the common code.

mike