Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 03:29:31 +0200

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Thomas Lord<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 02:30 +0200, Lennart Borgman wrote:

>> > I can't imagine a clean way for that to work
>> > for two reasons.   First, it would allow unbounded
>> > nesting of framelettes.
>
>> Why is that a problem?
>
> Now, what if the current window is underneath a hierarchical
> list of 5 framelettes?  I, the user, want C-x 1 to apply
> to the third framelette in that list.   What then?
> I can't think of any usable solution.  How is a user supposed
> to figure out, trivially, without stopping and solving a
> slightly complicated puzzle, which window to select to
> achieve that desired C-x 1 effect?

Thanks. I see your point, however I expected the framelets border to
be marked in some way. Your note about GIMP made me think of another,
additional, way: Using a different background color for the active
framelet.

> Putting on my "dabble in mysticism" hat, there
> are essentially three natural numbers greater than
> 0:  one, two, and "many".

That is more about human couple relationship ...

>> I am not sure I understand. I just think of it as you described it (on
>> a general level).
>
> I don't see the "generalization" you are after.

Just the level thing.

> Another way to say why it is easier is that users don't
> have to think very hard about "frame v. framelette".  They
> can just learn, as they have with so many other GUIs, that there
> are these four special areas around the main content of a window-system
> window (and perhaps "tear offs").

That might be a thing for the actually used user interfaces, but on
the devel side I see no reason to put in that restriction. Rather it
could be on option to set that restriction on the user side.