Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 00:42:20 +0900

Stefan just said we're not talking about UI.  Now you say we are.  I'm
confused....

Chong Yidong writes:

 > On a graphical display, you want to withdraw individual frames; on

Here, I disagree.  Pre-virtual-desktops, I used iconify-emacs a lot.[1]
Now I switch desktops instead.  Different mechanism, very similar user
experience.

 > a tty, that's not at all useful, and it would be a nuisance if C-z
 > acted on single frames.

On a TTY withdrawing a frame is just as useful to me as iconifying one
on a GUI: it uncovers whatever was underneath.  You may not use it
that way, but I do.[2]  What is different is that it is not useful to
*suspend* a whole emacs process on a GUI, while it may be useful on a
TTY (although I'm finding it less and less useful, in fact these days
I only use C-z to freeze emacs when I want to look at it in gdb
... and IIUC that signal is actually caught by gdb, not emacs).

Footnotes:
[1]  This may be XEmacs-specific; it withdraws all visible frames and
replaces them with a *single* icon.

[2]  To be precise, I use C-x 5 o a lot.  I'd probably use
withdraw-frame on a TTY as often and in the same way as I use
iconify-frame on a GUI, if XEmacs had a more mnemonic way to name
frames.