Re: Undo-limit default

From: Michael Ekstrand
Subject: Re: Undo-limit default
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 20:06:17 -0600

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
> A user reported bug#1501 after inadvertently encountering the undo
> limit.  The default is 20kb.  Does anyone on this list find this too
> low, considering how much memory computers possess these days?

This is totally subjective, but I seem to have a vague memory of running
in to the undo limit sometime in the last few months.  It doesn't happen
very often, though, and in cases where I'm likely to use that much undo
I'm just as likely to do a VCS revert.

> (I personally don't feel strongly about this either way, but I can see
> how it can be surprising to users.  These days, other programs seem to
> store much more undo information.)

Increasing the default a bit probably can't hurt IMO.  Out of curiosity,
is this limit global or per-buffer?  The documentation for `undo-limit'
doesn't say, and the relevant section in the Emacs manual doesn't
clearly state it either.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files?  I cryptographically sign my messages.