Re: files.el: Once again impossible to turn off dir-settings

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: files.el: Once again impossible to turn off dir-settings
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 10:30:00 -0500

> I've been watching the thread about forcing users to always take
> the performance hit of walking up the directory tree with some
> dismay. I notice that after the latest round of changes, it has
> once again become impossible to disable project settings ---
> other than locally advising hack-dir-local-variables ---
> something the extreme ened of power users can certainly do -- (I
> already have).

I thought we had fixed this slowness.  I often access files over the
network and have not bumped into this slowness, so I'm pretty sure it
can be avoided without turning off the feature.  Especially since the
"walk up the dir" is not done only for dir-settings but also for
VC backends, so it's pretty heavily used (meaning not that it's
important, but that we should have seen this slowness more often if it
was "normal").

Can we go back to trying to actually fix the slowness rather than
workaround it?

        Stefan