files.el: Once again impossible to turn off dir-settings

From: T.V. Raman
Subject: files.el: Once again impossible to turn off dir-settings
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 06:13:11 -0800

I've been watching the thread about forcing users to always take
the performance hit of walking up the directory tree with some
dismay. I notice that after the latest round of changes, it has
once again become impossible to disable project settings ---
other than locally advising hack-dir-local-variables ---
something the extreme ened of power users can certainly do -- (I
already have).

However, the design of dir-locals as implemented in files.el is
going to affect lots of users negatively -- especially those
 accessing files on network file systems.

I would still request that we enable users to selectively turn
off this feature --- I edit lots of things with Emacs, most of
them (none at present) use project settings --- and I dont see
why users in my position who also happen to use network file
systems should be asked to take this performance hit. Notice also
that the only way to discover the cause of this problem is to
toggle-debug-on-error, wait for the slowness to bite -- hit
ctrl-g -- chase the culprit down --- after which if you really
know your Emacs, you can advice hack-dir-local-variables to be a
no-op.

--Raman

--
Best Regards,