Re: Reviewing changes (was: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/bookmark

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Reviewing changes (was: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/bookmark.el, v)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:17:04 +0200

> From: Karl Fogel <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 02:50:44 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> As an aside: it's very difficult to review & respond to commits to
> Emacs, because the ChangeLog entry arrives in a separate email from the
> diff.  If the change package were kept intact (i.e., arrived as one
> email, the way every other project in the universe does it)

ChangeLog changes arriving separately is just a particular case of a
more general phenomenon: that each file's changes arrive separately,
even if they all belong to the same changeset.  CVS simply doesn't
support anything else.  But you already knew that, I'm sure.

> we'd probably get more review here.

A formal review system was suggested a couple of times to core
maintainers, but was rejected each time.  Until we have some
conventions on such reviews, there's no sense IMO to insist on VCS
changes to support it.