Re: emacsclient's option decoding code

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: emacsclient's option decoding code
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 00:33:16 +0100

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 19:36, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

>>  - (make-frame-on-display nil ...) is a synonym of (make-frame ...),
>> but only on Windows; I proposed patch (2). Does anyone see a problem
>> with it?
>
> These two patches look OK to me.

Well, it's worse than that, because with your change to `make-frame-on-display',

   (make-frame-on-display "")

works on Windows; in fact, that's what
`server-create-window-system-frame' uses, because on Windows,

  (frame-parameter nil 'display)  => ""

With my patch, "" would not be accepted, because it is obviously not
null. We'd have to use

        ((or (null display) (eq system-type 'windows-nt))
         (make-frame parameters))

which is progressively uglier.

All in all, I think accepting anything as DISPLAY for Windows is a bad
choice. If we're going that route, it'd be cleaner to accept only nil
as default display, and fix the callers to use nil for "" on Windows.

  Juanma