Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:18:50 -0500

One thing I've noticed from playing around with the code: a lot of the
size increase comes from this code portion in map_charset_chars:

  if (CHARSET_UNIFIED_P (charset)
      && CHAR_TABLE_P (CHARSET_DEUNIFIER (charset)))
    {
      map_char_table_for_charset (c_function, function,
                                  CHARSET_DEUNIFIER (charset), arg,
                                  partial ? charset : NULL, from, to);
    }

Commenting this out reduces the size of the Emacs executable by 6M.  But
AFAICT map_char_table_for_charset doesn't create any new char-tables, so
maybe our understanding of the problem isn't correct.