Re: Scrollbars on GTK.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Scrollbars on GTK.
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 13:38:36 +0900

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
> The vertical scrollbar is a poor indication of the view position on the
> buffer. For instance, I'm looking at a buffer that shows all the text
> except for the last two lines; the thumb's height covers less than half
> the space occupied by the scroll bar and it is on the highest
> position. If I move the point to the end of the buffer, the thumb moves
> a bit down but still it's lower end is mid way to the bottom of the
> scrollbar.

It's because the gtk scrollbar isn't flexible enough to cope with all
the possibilities allowed by emacs' text display.

The main issue, AIUI, is that the gtk scrollbar mechansim _assumes_ that
"end of buffer" is always at the bottom of the window (except when
that's impossible, such as a document smaller than the window), but
emacs allows the end-of-buffer point to be positioned anywhere in the
window.  So to allow users full flexibility in positioning, emacs
defines a sort of "overshoot" area past the end of the document.

-Miles

--
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.