Re: Emacs 21/22: french ç and œ

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs 21/22: french ç and œ
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:52:59 -0400

> Indeed, and this latin-1 story is rather sad. But I am not a linguist,
> so I doubles checked through the web and found two ressources that
> I think we can trust :

>     http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Œ
>     http://www.druide.com/points_de_langue_15.html

> both saying œ is mandatory.

I'm not arguing that "coeur" is as good as "cœur", jus that if you write
"coeur" *very* few people will even notice it.

Stefan> The "Robert" dictionary sorts "œ" as if it were "oe", so it's
Stefan> pretty close to equivalent.
> I often read text where œ is written oe, so it is a common mistake in
> french readings.

Yes, extremely common.  I'd even say that only ones who care are the
same people who get bothered by the "extra space between words" that
often shows up by mistake in Word documents (I'm one of those).

        Stefan